Monday, December 15, 2008

Spaghetti Squash

Nicole and I get a bag of fresh veggies (Farmer's Market style) that we order every week and last week I ordered a spaghetti squash. My mom makes it sometimes and I have some vague memory of liking it. So last night I decided to bake it, since it was probably getting a smidge old. I bust out my nice big chef's knife to hack the thing in half. I cut the end off, which took way more effort than I had anticipated. Huh...that's weird. So I start to try to cut it in half and that stupid squash had the skin of a damn boulder. I could barely get the knife in there at all, let alone cut it.

So I stabbed the knife in through the end I had cut off and was literally slamming it down on the counter trying to get the knife in further. Naturally, there was a ceramic bowl sitting on the counter next to the sink and I was whacking that stupid squash so hard that the bowl bounced off the counter and shattered in the sink. Great. After breaking a sweat (no joke), it finally split in half. I opened it and immediately yelled some obscenity. It's not even an effing spaghetti squash!! I was pissed. It's supposed to have little spaghetti string things (hence the name), but it looked and smelled exactly like a pumpkin inside. I threw it on a baking sheet and decided to bake it anyways, because I sure as hell wasn't going to waste the mystery squash. An hour later it was done (I think. Like I would know). I stabbed it with a fork and, whaddya know! Spaghetti thingies! Oops...

If you survive cutting it in half, put both halves (cut side down) on a cookie sheet or baking dish or something. I put foil down first so that clean-up doesn't suck ass. Cook at 350 for about 30 ish mins (until the fleshy part is soft when you poke it with a fork). I like it served with salt and pepper, others like it with butter...whateva...

No comments: