Friday, December 12, 2008

Charbroiled Carne Asada Tacos

Once again, my pal Isabel pulled through!

Ingredients

-¾ cup canola oil
-1 cup teriyaki sauce
-6 garlic cloves, minced
-2 lbs skirt steak
-12 6-in corn or flour tortillas
-1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
-1.5 cups salsa
-avocado
-chile verde sauce

Directions

Combine the oil, teriyaki sauce, and garlic in a glass baking dish. Add the steak, turn to coat, and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate overnight, turning once or twice (I just marinated it for a few hours, but it was plenty).

Remove the steak from the refrigerator 15-30 mins before cooking

Preheat your grill to med-high, or heat a grill pan over med-high heat

Remove the steak from the marinade and discard the marinade. Grill the steak for 4-5 mins per side for med-rare. The steak should have grill marks and be pink in the center. Let the steak rest on a cutting board for about 5 mins. Keep the grill on.

Slice the meat thinly, across the grain, then cut into 1-in pieces.

Heat the tortillas on the grill for 1 min, turn, and sprinkle each with some grated cheese. When the cheese has melted, remove the tortillas from the grill and fill each with some steak (the recipe actually calls for you to make some avocado chile verde sauce stuff. nah. I just broke it up and added each separately. Bomb, dude).

Oh man, the meat was SO good!! That may or may not have partially been due to the fact that I went to buy the meat at like 6:30am on a saturday just as the butcher was putting it out. A little bat of the eyelashes and he went back and got me the freshest that he had. Pretty sure it was still pulsing. Awesome. The marinade is so flavorful that I was actually kind of shocked that I made it! And it was super easy. A keeper, for sure. Looked and tasted totally impressive and it was a cinch to make!

4 comments:

susyash said...

Thoughts on the new blog:
I like finally getting recipes, but I miss your stories about the food. I, personally, would like anecdotes about cooking at the beginning and then the recipe to follow...

anyone else?

Summer said...

I was thinking the same thing. I think the thing is, is that these recipes I made a while ago, so I don't remember all the "story" stuff that accompanied them. The new recipes that I do from here on out will probably be more like that...

Anonymous said...

teh carne asada sounds great...hopefully ohio has that kind of steak. which its possible they don't. but im going to check!

Summer said...

Do they have different cuts of steak out there? I mean...if they're hackin up a cow, shouldn't everywhere have the same cuts? My meat purchasing doesn't extend to very many geographical areas, so apparently I have no idea...