Thursday, December 11, 2008
Black Bottom Cupcakes
One of my friends is obsessed with cupcakes and I decided that I needed some in my life. I hopped on my favorite recipe website, AllRecipes, and got to searching. These little delights popped up and I knew they were the ones. Whole Foods used to (or maybe still does) have a version of these and they were heavenly, so I figured I'd give them a try.
1 (8oz) package of cream cheese (I'll try light next time, since regular cream cheese was pretty stiff)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/8 teas salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1.5 cups flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup of cocoa (I used 1/3, which several reviewers suggested)
1 teas baking soda
1/2 teas salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar (pretty sure I grabbed the first non-apple vinegar that I found in the pantry. worked well enough)
1 teas vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350, lightly butter muffin tins
2. Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, salt. Stir in chocolate chips, set aside (I mixed, rather than 'beat', which is probably why the cream cheese was all lumpy for mine. Looked kinda gross, but still tasted awesome when they were done)
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt (sift, to me, means run a fork through it a few times to break up the big lumps. I'm way too lazy to actually sift). Add the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat until well combined (surprisingly fast and easy). Batter will be thin.
4. Fill muffin cups 1/3 full with the chocolate batter. Top each one with a spoonful of cream cheese mixture.
5. Bake for 20-25 mins (the actual recipe says 30-35, but several of the reviews said that that was too much. I always check the reviews for modifications and tips on that website)
6. Eat approximately 5 in a 3 minute span with a huge glass of milk, because these are the SHIT, people.
I may or may not have added #6 myself. Still stands true, though. Trust me.