Friday, December 12, 2008

Salmon with Papaya-Mango Salsa (serves 4)


From Isabel's Cantina

Salmon seems to be the easiest fish to make. That’s probably because it’s the only fish I’ve made. Whatever, it’s good and I know I like it.

Ingredients

-4 6oz skinless salmon filets
-3 Tbl canola oil
-½ cup soy joy sauce (recipe below)
-2 cups baby spinach or arugula (arugula is kinda spicy and, while I don’t mind it in mixed greens, the flavor is a bit overwhelming on it’s own. In my opinion)
-Papaya mango salsa (I used pre-made salsa)

Directions

Heat a large saute pan, preferably nonstick, over med-high heat until hot. Rub the salmon fillets on both sides with the oil. Place the salmon in the pan and cook, undisturbed, for at least 3 mins before turning. Continue to cook until the fish is slightly underdone in the center (use a fork to pull apart the flakes for a peek inside), about 3 mins, depending on the thickness of the fish. Drizzle the soy joy sauce over the fish, turn the salmon over, and swirl the pan to nicely coat the salmon with the sauce for a minute or two. The fish should be crisp and caramelized on the outside and moist and flaky on the inside.

Divide the spinach among 4 plates and transfer a piece of salmon on top of each plate of greens. Top each piece of salmon with some salsa.

Soy Joy Sauce

Ok, I thought that this was different than it is, and I totally didn’t have all the ingredients. It was still really good though. I pretty much threw all of the following (that I had) into a blender: What I managed to whip together was totally worth licking the plate! The cookbook says that it is a ‘million and one uses’ sauce, great as a marinade, stir fry sauce, etc.

-¼ cup soy sauce
-2 Tbl dark sesame oil (uh nope. I think I used canola oil)
-2 Tbl honey
-2 Tbl minced fresh ginger
-1 garlic clove
-½ cup fresh cilantro (didn’t have any and don’t really like it soooo….I left it out)
-½ teas chile flakes
-¼ cup cold water

No comments: