Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Roasted Chickpeas

I found this recipe on Skinny Taste (also her picture below).

I'm going camping this weekend and wanted to pack some healthy snacky things, since I wouldnt be able to stick strictly to my usual meal plan. I tried roasting chickpeas before, but they were fairly soggy. They didn't sog up until the next day, so I'm hoping the same doesn't happen to these tasty morsels.



  • 15 oz can chickpeas, drained (aka garbanzo beans)
  • olive oil spray
  • salt
  • 1 tsp chili pepper powder (to taste) (I used maybe half a tsp and it's plenty hot for my liking. might use even less next time)
  • 1 tsp cumin (I'd use 1/2 tsp for this and the following spices. 1 tsp each is WAY too much)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
Preheat oven to 375°. Drain chickpeas in a colander and let them dry completely. Pat dry with a paper towel if needed.

Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for about 30-35 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes. All ovens are different so make sure they don't burn. They will be golden brown and crunchy on the inside when done, not moist (when I tested one to see if it was crunchy, it was SO tasty just plain!).

In a medium bowl, combine all the spices. Remove chickpeas from oven when done and spray with olive oil spray. Immediately toss with spices while hot. Eat at room temperature. 


Super easy and super healthy. I think the last time I tried to make these, I might have used regular old olive oil. I liked the spray with this, because I felt like it didn't saturate the chickpeas as much. There was a LOT of spice, just in quantity, so I think I'd cut back to a little under 1 tsp for each next time.

No comments: