Friday, March 23, 2012

Blueberry oatmeal muffin

Another camping recipe!

This is another one from Skinny Taste. Gina, over there, has got her recipes on and poppin, folks. 


  • 1 1/2 cups Quaker quick oatmeal
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim milk)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tbsp agave (or sugar, honey) (I used honey)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (I used regular whole wheat flour. It was cheaper.)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • baking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with oil. (I didn't do the oil part, because I felt like it was redundant. MISTAKE. They stuck pretty well to the liners. I STILL think it's redunant, so I might just spray the pan and skip the liners next time.

Place oats in a food processor or chopper and pulse a few times. Soak oats in milk for about 30 minutes.  


In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, agave, apple sauce, vanilla, egg whites, oil and mix well.

In a third bowl combine whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and whisk to combine.

Combine oats and milk with sugar, applesauce mixture and mix well. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in blueberries.

Spoon into the muffin tin (I filled the liners about 3/4 of the way. They didn't rise much, so I think I'll fill them a bit more next time) and bake for 22-24 minutes

When I took these out of the oven, the blueberries were all bubbly and blueberry-y. Looked SO good. 


Ok, technically I haven't had one yet, but they LOOK fantastic. I took one to my dad this morning for a taste test. "Why haven't you blogged about these yet?!". Because I haven't tried them! What if they suck! He assured me that they didn't and that they were really moist and "interesting" tasting. I'll update when I've had one or twelve myself.


Update: Pops is cray. These are AWESOME.

No comments: