Thursday, April 8, 2010

Warm Spinach Salad

I freaking LOVE warm spinach salad. Spinach? Bacon? Eggs? Heck yes. I just wanted a super basic salad to serve with a turned-out-not-so-great-AT-ALL pasta dish, so I looked up recipes for the dressing and used this one. My salad just had spinach and hard boiled eggs (I put the bacon in the dressing), not all the other stuff in this recipe. Would probably be good, though, if you want to try it.

Dressing:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large shallot, minced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup honey (I added extra honey, a couple tablespoons worth)
  • 2 strips crisply cooked bacon, crumbled (2 or 4 or 6...)
  • salt and pepper to taste

  1. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in shallots and garlic, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and 2 crumbled strips of bacon; season to taste with salt and pepper, then cook until hot.
  2. Pour hot dressing over spinach and toss to coat.
I halved the recipe because there was only two of us, but kept the 2 strips of bacon (duh). It was quite vinegary/mustardy, so I added a tablespoon or so extra honey to cut that down a bit. Do a little taste test and play with it. The dressing turned out thicker than I remember most warm spinach salad dressings to be, BUT it tasted suuuuper good! Totally outshined the crapastic pasta that I made. Oops!

No comments: