Monday, January 4, 2010

Swiss Chard


Wanna impress someone? Tell them you know what the hell to do with chard. Or maybe I'm just impressed by it. I mean, it's a green other than lettuce, so it sounds all fancy to me. Anyhoo, this is a little side dish made with chard. As far as I can tell, there is no difference in taste between the different colors of chard. It usually comes in red, green, or rainbow. I usually get rainbow, just because it's purdy! If you get it at the farmer's market, wash it well. This last batch I made was a wee bit gritty because I'm totally lazy and just rinsed it quickly. I have no idea where I got this recipe. Off the interwebs a long time ago...in a land far away...

-2Tbl butter
-2Tbl olive oil
-1Tbl garlic
-1/2 red onion
-Two bunches of chard (they vary in sizes. Some have huuuuuuge leaves, some have tiny stems. Yay for variety! Basically-just chill. Don't worry about it)
-1 cup white wine
-1 Tbl lemon juice
-2Tbl parmesean cheese

First off-the chard leaves should be cut up separately from the stems. The stems are usually pretty thick, so they take longer to cook. If the stem goes up pretty far into the leaf, just cut it out. Cut the leaves into about 2 inch chunks (totally up to you how big you want the pieces. It'll cook down in size a lot).

Heat up the butter and olive oil in a pan over med (or med-high. Crap, I don't know!). When melted, add in the garlic and onion and sautee until soft. Next, add the white wine and the stems of the chard and cook until the stems are soft. Add the leave and cook just until they're wilted.

Drizzle the lemon juice on top, and sprinkle some cheese on it.

And now you can totally rock the farmer's market and be all "what, that? Oh that's just swiss chard. I've totally made that before. Be jealous, bitches".

No comments: