Sunday, November 8, 2009

Turkey Meatballs

This is one of my favorite dishes that my dad makes. Pretty easy, SUPER good. Usually, if made right (which is always, by him, and about half the time, by me), it's one of those holy-crap-I-cant-stop-eating-until-I-puke meals. Mmmm...

1 lb ground turkey (try to avoid 'lean', because that meat dries out and the meatballs sometimes fall apart)
1/2 cup shredded tart apple (granny smith)
3/4 ts salt (last batch I made seemed a little salty, so maybe a touch less)
1/8 ts garlic salt
2 Tbl veggie oil
1/2 cup apricot jam (you can supposedly use apple or pineapple or whatever, but that doesn't sound great to me, soooo...I stick with apricot)
2 Tbl spicy brown mustard.

Combine turkey, apple, salt and garlic in med bowl. Shape into 1.5 in balls. Brown in heated oil (about 8 mins). Stir together jelly and mustard. Spoon over meatballs and simmer another 8-10 mins until glazed. Turn meatballs several times. Sauce thickens as it cools. Serve over rice.

No comments: