Sunday, March 3, 2013

Baked Oatmeal

Source

I whipped up this baked oatmeal this morning. It was super easy and made our apartment smell like CHURROS. Heaven.

I tweaked the recipe just a touch, based on what I had on hand.



  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted and chopped (I bought a bag of chopped and toated pecans from trader Joes)
  • 1/4 natural cane sugar or maple syrup, plus more for serving (could use less)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups almond milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch/1 cm pieces


  • Preheat the oven to 375°F with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch square baking dish.
    In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the pecans, the sugar, if using, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
    In another bowl, whisk together the the milk, egg, and the vanilla.
    Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple thwacks on the countertop to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining pecans across the top.

    Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar or drizzle with maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter.

    My tweaks: I used almond milk instead of regular milk. The original recipe called for butter, which I didnt have, so I left it out. Didn't miss it. I used pecans instead of walnuts, cut back the sugar (could have cut it back even more). I used the 1/2 tsp of salt the recipe called for, but it tasted like too much. I would half it next time, to the 1/4 tsp mentioned above. 

    Overall, this was super easy, and super tasty. A keeper. 

    No comments: