And it is GLORIOUS.
I put this together right before I go to sleep. When I wake up, the entire apartment smells so gloriously delicious that I am more than happy to jump out of bed. That doesn't usually happen with my 5:15 wake up call, TRUST ME.
Side note: the first time I made overnight oatmeal it was from a different recipe (which I, naturally, didnt save), and it included only water (actually I did a little almond milk for flavor), oats and cinnamon. That's a little less fussy than this recipe, but it was still delicious. The first recipe called for 1 cup of oats to 4 cups of liquid and I was happy with the outcome. The recipe below called for 1:3, so I increased the liquid. It cooks for SO long that you don't want it to burn or get dry.
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk) (I used 2 cups of almond milk)
- 1-1/2 cups water (2 cups)
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional) (psh, Im not one to turn down butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.