Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Slow Cooker Steal Cut Oatmeal

I have made a discovery.

And it is GLORIOUS.

I put this together right before I go to sleep. When I wake up, the entire apartment smells so gloriously delicious that I am more than happy to jump out of bed. That doesn't usually  happen with my 5:15 wake up call, TRUST ME.

Side note: the first time I made overnight oatmeal it was from a different recipe (which I, naturally, didnt save), and it included only water (actually I did a little almond milk for flavor), oats and cinnamon. That's a little less fussy than this recipe, but it was still delicious. The first recipe called for 1 cup of oats to 4 cups of liquid and I was happy with the outcome. The recipe below called for 1:3, so I increased the liquid. It cooks for SO long that you don't want it to burn or get dry.


Ingredients
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
  • 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk) (I used 2 cups of almond milk)
  • 1-1/2 cups water (2 cups)
  • 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional) (psh, Im not one to turn down butter)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
Directions
Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray (didn't do this the first time and spent about 83 hours trying to scrap the goop off and scrubbing the pot. USE THE SPRAY!). Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

It develops a pretty this "crust" along the walls, which is actually my favorite part. I toss the leftovers in the fridge and heat it up pretty much following her instructions.

GO MAKE THIS NOW, DO IT!

No comments: