Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Green Monster

I stumbled across Oh She Glows somewhere, sometime. I like the concept of "finding your glow again". I just haven't been feeling...GOOD...lately. You know? I saw her mention her green monster smoothies a few times and decided to give it a whirl. I wish I could have a smoothie every morning, but my neighbors would probably be at my door with a pitchfork if I ran my blender on high at 5:30am every day. 


I started with a spiffed up version of her basic smoothie:

  • 2 cups organic spinach
  • 1-1.25 cups milk (your choice of cow’s milk, soy, hemp, almond, rice, etc) (I use almond milk)
  • 1 tablespoon flax (optional) (yep, used it. Make sure it's ground up, unless you have a killer blender that will break the seeds)
  • 1 banana
  • ice
Directions:
Hi there, Are you a Green Monster first-timer? Have no fear! This recipe is fool proof. Even the biggest skeptic will love this one. Place the ingredients into the blender in the following order: 1) Flax (I also added a scoop of "green" powder), 2) spinach, 3) banana, 4) milk. The reason for this order is so the heavier ingredients weigh down the flax and spinach and keep it from flying up around the blender and sticking to the side. Blend everything on the highest setting for 1 minute or so. Finally, add ice (I added a few frozen strawberries and a dollop of almond butter) and blend on the ice setting. Pour into a large, fancy glass. Sit back, gulp it down, and be prepared to have endless energy!

It was actually really good. And really dark green. And really BIG. I was stuffed when I was done. I'm going to try these out for a while and see how it goes....or glows....I'll post pics later today and also what green stuff I used. You know, when I'm actually home and not blogging at work.... :x


No comments: