Monday, February 28, 2011

Healthifying Tacos

I'm not smart enough to NOT over-eat. I AM smart enough, however, to try to make the best of it. Usually. Today I was craaaaaaving beef stroganoff. You know what beef stroganoff has in it? Sour cream. Effing lactose intolerance. Next up: tacos. Like I said, I knew I was going to shove copious amounts of food in my face. My trick is to try to cram veggies in my food to a)take up space and b) add vitamins and that crap. SO. Here are my healthier tacos:

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 package of taco seasoning
1/2 red bell pepper (should have used the whole thing)
1 small (really small. Like, was maybe a shallot) yellow onion
3 giant handfuls of spinach

Swirl some olive oil in a pan (I used my electric skillet). On med heat, cook the onions and peppers until onions are translucent. Add about a quarter cup of water, then the turkey. Sprinkle the taco mix on top of it (to make it even healthier, use less mix). When the turkey is almost done, toss in your spinach. Remember that it cooks down a LOT and cooks really fast. Spinach and broccoli and other "tough" greens are actually better for you when they're cooked, so eat up!

I served on "handmade" tortillas with soy cheese.

Yum.

No comments: